« Back

Press Release

Technip awarded first spar platform in Malaysia for the Kikeh field

February 09, 2005

Technip has been awarded a contract by Murphy Oil Corporation, for the engineering, construction and installation of a Spar floating production platform complete with topsides facilities, hull, mooring system and riser/wellhead systems for the Kikeh Area Development located in 1,330 m water depth offshore Sabah, Malaysia. Kikeh will be the first deepwater development in Malaysia.

Technip’s engineering center in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, will manage the entire project as well as engineer the Spar topsides and installation. Specialist support will be provided by Technip’s Houston and Finland offices, performing the global and riser system engineering and the Spar hull detailed engineering, respectively. The Spar hull and topsides will be fabricated at Malaysian Shipyard and Engineering Sdn Bhd facilities.

The Spar hull for Kikeh will be 142m long, with a diameter of 32m and have a steel weight of approximately 12,000 mt. The topsides facilities will weigh approximately 3,000 mt and provide a 25-slot wellbay for dry tree wellheads. Delivery of the Spar hull is scheduled for 2006, with first production in the second half of 2007.

The Kikeh Development is located in offshore Block K Malaysia, which is operated by Murphy with an 80% working interest. Petronas Carigali, a wholly owned exploration and production company of Petronas, holds the remaining 20%. The Kikeh Area has a recoverable reserve base in excess of 400 million barrels with associated expansion ability.

This Spar platform will be the first one ever installed outside the Gulf of Mexico and the first application of tender-assisted drilling on a Spar platform. This contract increases Technip’s presence in Malaysia and reinforces its leading position in deepwater developments through its field-proven floating production Sparplatform.

* * *